In July 2015, USAID LEAF, with partners USFS IP, SilvaCarbon, USAID LEAD and SERVIR, held a regional forum on developing and financing low emission development strategies (LEDS) for the agriculture, forestry and other land use (AFOLU) sector. The workshop brought together over 130 participants from the government, civil society, academia, the international donor community and the private sector from 11 countries across Asia to discuss and debate the role of AFOLU LEDS and how to move from a promising start to implementation of sustainably financed large-scale LEDS that contribute to national emission reduction targets.
Over the three-day forum, participants shared experience and lessons learned from existing AFOLU LEDS efforts across the Asia Pacific region, identified best practices and core principles in developing successful AFOLU LEDS, and investigated ways to bridge the gap between financiers’ interest in low emission investments and needs for financial support at the field level. In addition, country delegates outlined key next steps they will take back to accelerate LEDS efforts in their home countries.
Following are materials from the workshop:
Workshop Report: http://www.leafasia.org/library/afolu-leds-workshop-report
Setting the context
1. Global Emissions from the Agriculture and Forestry Sectors: Status and Trends (Ms. Indu Murthy, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore): http://www.leafasia.org/library/global-emissions-agriculture-and-forest-sectors
2. Finance for Sustainable Development at the Landscape Level: Changing Architecture of Forest Governance (Dr. Steven Lawry, CIFOR): http://www.leafasia.org/library/changing-architecture-forest-governance
3. National Policies and Commitments to Achieve Emission Reductions in the AFOLU Sector (Dr. Natcha Tulyasuwan, USAID LEAD): http://www.leafasia.org/library/national-commitments-afolu-leds
What has been learned?
4. USAID’s Investment in Sustainable Landscapes (Mr. Jim Barber, USFS & USAID LEAF): http://www.leafasia.org/library/investments-sustainable-landscapes
5. The World Agroforestry Centre’s Low Emission Land Use Planning (Mr. Suyanto, World Agroforestry Centre): http://www.leafasia.org/library/world-agroforestry-centre-and-low-emissi...
6. The Sustainable Tropics Alliance’s Low Emission Development for Rural Development (Dr. Claudia Stickler, Earth Innovative Institute) (in absentia): http://www.leafasia.org/library/fostering-low-emission-rural-development
Technical Data Needs
7. Lam Dong REDD+ Action Plan (Mr. Pham Thanh Nam, USAID LEAF): http://www.leafasia.org/library/lam-dong-redd-action-plan
8. SERVIR (Dr. Peter Cutter, SERVIR): http://www.leafasia.org/library/what-servir
9. ADB’s Greater Mekong Subregion Program’s Online Environmental Portal (Ms. Nguyen Hanh Quyen, ADB): http://www.leafasia.org/library/greater-mekong-subregion-programv
* Breakout Session Summary – Technical Data Needs: http://www.leafasia.org/library/technical-data-needs
Policy and Institutional Needs
10. Indonesia Forest and Climate Support (Mr. Neville Kemp, USAID IFACS): http://www.leafasia.org/library/indonesia-forest-and-climate-support
11. Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (Dr. Puja Sawhney, IGES): http://www.leafasia.org/library/policy-and-institutional-needs
12. Mainstreaming LED Strategy (Mr. Suyanto, World Agroforestry Centre): http://www.leafasia.org/library/mainstreaming-led-strategy
* Breakout Session Summary – Policy and Institutional Needs: http://www.leafasia.org/library/policy-and-institutional-needs-0
Stakeholder Engagements Needs
13. Low Emission Land Use Planning in Madang Province, Papua New Guinea (Mr. Roy Banka, USAID LEAF): http://www.leafasia.org/library/stakeholder-engagement-needs
14. Stakeholder Engagement in Low Emission Development Projects (Dr. Julie Nash, CCAFS): http://www.leafasia.org/library/stakeholder-engagement
15. Community Forestry (Mr. David Gritten, RECOFTC): http://www.leafasia.org/library/community-forestry
* Breakout Session Summary – Stakeholder Engagement Needs: http://www.leafasia.org/library/stakeholder-engagement-needs-0
Financing AFOLU LEDS
16. Introduction to Financing for AFOLU LEDS (Dr. Jeremy Broadhead, USAID LEAF): http://www.leafasia.org/library/financing-low-emission-development
17. International Climate Change Financing for Land Use: Beyond a Paris Agreement (Mr. Ken Andrasko, Winrock International): http://www.leafasia.org/library/international-climate-change-financing
18. Private Financing for Land Use in Southeast Asia (Ms. Susan Roxas, WWF): http://www.leafasia.org/library/sustainable-finance
Low Emissions Business Models
19. Low Emission Business Models in Lam Dong, Vietnam (Dr. Tran Dai Nghia, IPSARD): http://www.leafasia.org/library/low-emission-business-models
20. Mangrove Conservation and Sustainable Shrimp Industry in Ca Mau, Vietnam (Mr. Ho Kim Cuong, IUCN): http://www.leafasia.org/library/mangrove-conservation-and-sustainable-sh...
21. Private Sector Engagement in REDD+: The Kasigau Corridor, Kenya (Mr. Brian Williams, Wildlife Works): http://www.leafasia.org/library/kasigau-corridor
* Breakout Session Summary – Low Emissions Business Models: http://www.leafasia.org/library/low-emissions-business-models
Voluntary Sustainability Initiatives and Emissions Reduction
22. The Potential of Voluntary Sustainability Initiatives to Reduce Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (Ms. Thuy Phung, USAID LEAF): http://www.leafasia.org/library/voluntary-sustainability-initiatives
23. The REDD+ Energy and Agriculture Programme (REAP) (Mr. Richard McNally, SNV): http://www.leafasia.org/library/snv-reap-program
24. Greenhouse Gas Emission and Oil Palm Sector: The RSPO Emissions Working Group (Mr. Faizal Parish, Global Environmental Center): http://www.leafasia.org/library/greenhouse-gas-emission-and-oil-palm-sector
* Breakout Session Summary – Voluntary Sustainability Initiatives: http://www.leafasia.org/library/voluntary-sustainability-initiatives-0
Financing Forest Conservation
25. Investors Supporting Sustainability Transformation (Mr. Adam Grant, New Forests): http://www.leafasia.org/library/investors-supporting-sustainability-tran...
26. Income for Coastal Communities for Mangrove Protection (Mr. Kenichi Shono, FAO): http://www.leafasia.org/library/income-coastal-communities-mangrove-prot...
27. Carbon Markets (Mr. Gabriel Eickhoff, Forest Carbon): http://www.leafasia.org/library/carbon-markets
28. “Grow Share Protect the Mangrove” project (Ms. Jeeranee Janrungautai, Charoen Pokphand (CP) Group): http://www.leafasia.org/library/grow-share-protect-mangrove-project
* Breakout Session Summary – Financing Forest Conservation: http://www.leafasia.org/library/forest-financing-needs
Addressing the Financing Gap: Constraints, Opportunities and Solutions – Who Needs to Do What?
1. Sub-National Level Recommendations: http://www.leafasia.org/library/sub-%C2%ADnational-level-recommendations
2. National Level Recommendations: http://www.leafasia.org/library/national-level-recommendations
3. International Level Recommendations: http://www.leafasia.org/library/international-financing-recommendations
Planning and Financing: Constraints, Opportunities and Solutions
Summary Remarks (Dr. Steven Lawry, CIFOR): http://www.leafasia.org/library/summary-remarks-steven-lawry
Country Group Work – Actions to Achieve National Emission Reduction Goals
1. Bangladesh Country Group Work: http://www.leafasia.org/library/bangladesh-country-group-work
2. Cambodia Country Group Work: http://www.leafasia.org/library/cambodia-country-group-work
3. India Country Group Work: http://www.leafasia.org/library/india-country-group-work
4. Indonesia Country Group Work: http://www.leafasia.org/library/indonesia-country-group-work
5. Lao PDR Country Group Work: http://www.leafasia.org/library/lao-pdr-country-group-work
6. Malaysia Country Group Work: http://www.leafasia.org/library/malaysia-country-group-work
7. Nepal Country Group Work: http://www.leafasia.org/library/nepal-country-group-work
8. Philippines Country Group Work: http://www.leafasia.org/library/philippines-country-group-work
9. Papua New Guinea Country Group Work: http://www.leafasia.org/library/papua-new-guinea-country-group-work
10. Thailand Country Group Work: http://www.leafasia.org/library/thailand-country-group-work
11. Vietnam Country Group Work: http://www.leafasia.org/library/vietnam-country-group-work